State the main steps to be taken to prevent water pollution.
Steps to be taken to prevent water pollution :
- Trees and plants be planted along the banks of rivers and canals.
- Bathing and cleaning of animals near or in water sources be not allowed.
- Use of pesticides, insecticides, fungicides and fertilisers should be reduced.
- The polluted water from industries should be treated first and then discharged into water bodies.
- Use biodegradable detergents.
- Water containing sewage should be passed through sewage treatment plants first and then this water should be used for irrigation.
- Wells should be covered properly and washing and cleaning of clothes, utensils and animals should not be done near the well to keep them clean.