State the main postulates of kinetic theory of matter.
The main postulates of the theory are:
- Matter is composed of very small particles called atoms and molecules.
- The constituent particles of a kind of matter are identical in all respects.
- These particles have space or gaps between them which is known as interparticular or intermolecular space.
- There exists a force of attraction between the particles of matter which holds them together. This force of attraction is known as interparticular or intermolecular force of attraction.
- Particles of matter are always in a state of random motion and possess kinetic energy, which increases with increase in temperature and vice-versa.